Problem was regarding lack of student engagement and performance during class
Designed a premium feature for knowledgehook’s tool to increase student engagement in class and help teachers facilitate an interactive teaching session.
Students can upload their work
Teachers can ask students to respond to a question by uploading a personal piece of work.
Point and drag on an image
Students can reflect and respond on a topic or a question asked by the teacher by pointing and dragging a point on an image.
Interact and Draw on a Canvas
Students can interact with a question by drawing on a canvas using the provided markup tool along with a text response
Teacher can track student understanding through real time formative assessments during the quiz in a way that may be more complete than asking students to raise hands or answer in person.
As a teacher, I want to understand students prior knowledge and check their understanding with respect to the concept while in a quiz, so that I can instantly assess student responses and focus on the weak areas of concept.
- Wants to create a strong foundation for students so that they understand Math concepts clearly
- Wants to get more feedback from students on taught concepts
- Wants to help students to learn more and engage in an interactive learning process
- Help students in becoming critical thinkers
- Wants to provide a space for students to participate in class discussion and not shy away from talking
- Knowledgehook doesn’t have room for explanation of each step of solving a Math problem.
- Students want to beat the clock rather than think carefully about the different options.
- The depth of thinking and the data provided by knowledgehook is not particularly actionable.
“Student engagement is the product of motivation and active learning. It is a product rather than a sum because it will not occur if either element is missing.”
- Daily activities with the tool
- Type of teaching methods
- Different type of communication, interactions & behaviors
- Unable to understand a Student’s thought process in class
- Lack of Class Participation as students were introverts
- Unable to assess class performance in realtime
This approach helped us to explore how different products in the market are solving the problem of student engagement while learning in class
- High interactive UI
- Shift towards active learning.
- Communicate in an open ended way
- Realtime assessment
- Login as a teacher
- Create/Select a new activity
- Introduce class topic/ agenda
- Initiate a quiz and invite students
- Start the quiz
- Present quiz questions
- Ask verbal questions and start a discussion
- Student assessment
How do we help teachers engage students in classrooms?
Teachers should be able to ask right question to increase student engagement
Teaching in class should build curiosity among students which will result in new challenge
Students should be able to demonstrate critical thinking while learning.
Of 24 teachers were satisfied Able to engage students in class
Increased customer base